I'm determined to not fall entirely behind on 24 this season, partially so I can read blogs and boards without worrying about hitting spoilers, but mostly so I don't have to cover my eyes and go "LA-LA-LA-LA" any time a 24 commercial comes on.
Random thoughts for Season 6, 6AM-10AM (episodes 1-4) [Spoilers]:
* When are the terrorists going to learn that, for clandestine deployment of Weapons of Mass Destruction, using just-in-time delivery for components and assembling them on the fly is just more trouble than it's worth?
Sure, in theory, it reduces your vulnerability and makes it harder for someone to roll up your entire organization in one go. But it seems needlessly complicated. Especially since the 24 terrorists are always making their connections by yakking away on unsecured cell phones.
* Similarly, would it kill them to procure some WMD that they can use right out of the box? The terrorists always have to go track down parts and find some engineers to custom-rig detonators and assemble the things at the last minute, and they're always leaving circuit diagrams and schematics lying around for anyone to find.
* Nice job of the writers setting up the not-UPS guy (Ray, Hostage Dad) to look like a potential hero (especially after he channeled a little Jack, killing custom detonator guy with a lamp and the floor), then not doing anything except screaming "NOOOOOOO" before the big boom.
* At this point, I don't think we know if Agent Curtis is dead (I get a morbid glee when I see the big "DECEASED" stamped across the character profiles on the 24 site). I'm inclined to think he's only wounded, since if they were going to write him out, they could at least have given him a heroic death trying to stop the suitcase nuke.
* The first 4 hours are available on DVD tomorrow. That's kind of interesting.
* They're good actors, but all I see is Dr. Bashir, Commander Lock, Mick Schtoppel, Ally McBeal guy, Col. McQueen, and of course, Terrorist Kumar.
* I miss the split-screen camera work. They don't use it very much any more.
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
A Few Thoughts on the 24 Season 6 4-Hour Premiere
Labels: 24, dumb things
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
I was rewatching Season 1 last month and realized how often they used to use the split screen. It created a surreal level of tension that might be missing from the current season. This calls for a strongly worded letter to Fox. Again.
This was actually noted by someone else (maybe Salon?) a few seasons ago. It was in contrast to earlier seasons, when they would split-screen two people who were, say, across the table from each other.
It was a apparently a conscious choice by the creators. Pity.
Oh, and it looks like Agent Curtis is wearing the big red stamp; too bad. -- Joe
Post a Comment