It's been a pretty stressful week, with work and the Verizon and hey laaaaaadyyyyy and all that.
To counteract this, I just burned a CD that's very calming. I call it the Mellow Burn.
Here it is, with notes:
1. Rilkean Heart, Cocteau Twins
2. Bluer, Over The Rhine (currently obsessed with this song)
3. Fool For A Country Tune, Dusty Trails (with Vivian formerly of Luscious Jackson)
4. God Song, Beth Orton (obsessed with this one, too)
5. The Nightingale, Angelo Badalamenti
6. More Than This, Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music
7. Five Room Love Story, Cowboy Junkies
8. Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, Spiritualized
9. I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, Elton John
10. His Truth Is Marching On, Mike Doughty
11. Flower, Liz Phair (more on this one later)
12. Thinking About Tomorrow, Beth Orton
13. Prom Theme, Fountains Of Wayne
14. Heroes In June, Echobelly
15. Running To Stand Still, U2
16. No Need to Argue, The Cranberries
17. Stay, Belly
18. Yours And Mine, Fountains Of Wayne
I really struggled with limiting it to two per artist, tops. Otherwise, it would have been all Cowboy Junkies, Beth Orton, Over the Rhine, and Cocteau Twins. But that's why they have groups of songs called "albums."
It is so calming, in fact, that an unintended consequence has been endangering my life while driving, since in DC-metro traffic, a relaxed, nonaggressive driver is otherwise known as a victim, sucker or target.
Nevertheless, I share it with you. Listen while driving at your own risk.